The Smoque Shack
Work group dinner. Service was slow and food was good.
A definite must if your in the Ottawa area looking for something new to try.
- Reservation was made via opentable
- Upon arriving at the confirmed address, was clear restaurant moved locations
- Once arriving at the new location not far away, stood at the door for several minutes without any assistance.
- After we spoke with the host and advised of not only the reservation but the change in address, was asked where I booked the reservation and offered no explanation on the address change or acknowledgement that they would make changes. Seemed surprised they were even listed on opentable.
- Stood at the door for several more minutes and had a party of 2 that clearly had no reservations and arrived after we did, get seated before us.
- Several more minutes went by and once the host came back to see us, seemed as though he forgot all about us and simply asked "you're the 2 right".
- Was seated by the front window next to a plugged in space heater. Was extremely drafty and cold.
- Server was wonderful. She was attentive, kind and genuinely helpful.
- Cocktails were awful. "Smoked Bourbon Manhattan" was nothing more than bad watered down Scotch. Had no bourbon and definitely no vermouth in it, as advertised.
- Food took a fair amount of time to arrive, wasn't bad. Some portions within the platter were better than others.
- Before the meal finished, a large party of 10-15 attached to a film crew arrived and began taking over the restaurant for an obvious filming. They spread out and obstructed walking lanes and recorded customers who were clearly not aware of what was going on. Only the server later advised they were filming a "Korean Netflix cooking show" - seemed strange to do that on business hours with paying customers eating.
- Overall, the reviews online are accurate. Perhaps before they moved this was thee BBQ joint in Ottawa. There is no reason what so ever to go out of your way to go here. Lots of alternatives in the area. Management is either non existent or doesn't care.
Our meal was delicious! We're had a great booth in the corner that was nice and warm. My meal came out with fries instead of fried pickles as I had ordered but they gave us the pickles no problem.
The Smoque Shack offers takeout which you can order by calling the restaurant at (613) 422-7667.
The Smoque Shack is rated 3.7 stars by 4 OpenTable diners.
You can book this restaurant by choosing the date, time and party size.